Pattern: “Dogs in Sweaters” quilt and pillow pattern by Elizabeth Hartman.
Fabrics: Scraps! In retrospect, I should have matched the white(ish) background, but I set out to use scraps, and those were the scraps I had. The darker muslin is from a freebie fabric bag that came with a pack of yarn I bought 20 years ago. The backing is from a Norwegian duvet cover donated by my dear friend. The cotton seersucker cover had been her mother’s favorite and was no longer usable because of some rips in the 50-year-old fabric.
Made for: My non-biological sister in Texas who has metastatic pancreatic cancer. She is fighting the good fight. She LOVES dachshunds, and I know she will be amused by this pillow cover!
Modifications: The original pillow case pattern finished in a size for which there were no readily available pillow forms. So, I eyeballed it and ended up with a cover that takes a standard sized pillow. I also did not do the three-layer quilted backing, opting for a double layer of the seersucker.
Thoughts: I am rubbish at quilting, mainly because I am a piecer, not a quilter . . . I think the wavy line quilting turned out OK though. The dachshund required many little pieces of fabric; not frustrating, but needed patience. So worth the effort for the “cuteness” factor!