Years ago, I knitted the Wisteria in its original sweater form: https://opiegp.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/wisteria/
It was beautiful, but the yarn I used was wrong for the project. It was too soft, the sweater grew, and I never wore it. I finally frogged it this past spring, and a couple of weeks ago I decided to reknit Wisteria as a dress.
Pattern: Wisteria, by Kate Gilbert, from Twist Collective Fall 2008.
Yarn: A DK weight merino/cashmere/silk yarn from Lambspun of Colorado. This yarn has been a few projects and has held up beautifully over the years.
Modifications: The pattern converts into a dress without fuss. I added some bodice darts at the back to prevent “poofing” under the yoke, added darts in front and back (along with those at the sides) for smoother skirt increases, and shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length.
Thoughts: The yarn was perfect for this project; it is light, and the dress conforms without clinging.
I knitted my first Bryn Mawr dress also with the wrong sort of yarn: https://opiegp.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/knitting-for-the-fall-vortex-street-pullover-bryn-mawr-dress-halliard/
Again, the yarn was too soft, and the dress was incredibly clingy and picked up static like crazy. But I loved the pattern, so I reknitted the sweater this past spring.
Pattern: Bryn Mawr dress, by Alex Capshaw-Taylor, from Interweave Knits Fall 2013
Yarn: Sport weight mule-spun Elsawool in undyed medium grey. This is a cormo wool, and I love it as much (if not more) than merino wool.
Modifications: I opened up the neckline, and did not bother with the skirt hem. I knitted the sleeves on from the top using short rows to shape the caps.
Thoughts: The pattern was as fun to knit this time around as last time. More important, the dress fits well without cling, and the cables still show up even with the darker yarn.